ITC LEVEL 3 AWARD IN FIRST AID AT WORK
Employers have to risk assess their workplace first aid requirements and the 3-day First Aid at Work (FAW) qualification is one of the statutory qualifications for this purpose.
Successful completion will result in the knowledge and skills that have been identified by the HSE for the management of emergency incidents and the treatment of illness and injuries in the workplace.
Topics include; roles & responsibilities, dealing with collapse (with and without breathing), choking, bleeding, shock, seizures, minor workplace incidents, major illnesses, common and serious workplace injuries, poisoning, anaphylactic shock, burns treatment, eye injuries and using first aid kit.
Typical delivery methods are predominantly practical and the course is assessed by continual observation of candidate performance.
Qualification training requires:
- Minimum tutor contact time of 18 hours (excluding breaks).
- 1:12 tutor to candidate ratio.
- Course must be completed within 10 weeks of starting.
- Each delivery session must be a minimum of 2 hours.
- Successful completion will result in candidate gaining ITC Level 3 Award in First Aid at Work with a valid (licence to practice) lifetime of 3 years from date of completion.
- The HSE strongly recommend candidates take an annual 3 hour refresher during the lifetime of the qualification.
- FAW requalification is by taking the full FAW qualification again. Provided the candidates FAW certificate has not expired by more than 1 calendar month the contact time may be reduced to 12 hours over 2 days.
- Calendar month means if the expiry date is 5th of one month then the candidates have until 4thof the next month to complete the requalification.